This fried chicken sandwich recipe is simply the best! It just doesn’t get much better than a crispy and juicy fried chicken on a toasted butter bun with a fresh yet creamy coleslaw. These chicken sandwiches are easy to make at home without hassle or mess. These scrumptious sandwiches will without a doubt have you stretching seconds! This recipe serves 4.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 4 deboned chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons of butter, softened
- 1/2 red cabbage, sliced
- 4 butter buns, sliced
- 1 cup of shredded coleslaw
- 2 tablespoon of hot sauce
- 1/4 cup of pickle juice
- 12 slices of pickled cucumber
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 2 teaspoons of course sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons of ground peppercorns
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 litre of canola oil
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- Prepare the chicken thighs in a medium-sized bowl, by placing them in the bowl and covering them with the buttermilk. Then add 1 teaspoon of the coarse salt and pepper, the tablespoon of hot sauce. Gently stir together, cover and place in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Next, prepare the other ingredients. Then, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix together the coleslaw, red cabbage, mustard, 1 teaspoon of hot sauce, 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise, and the splash of pickle juice. Butter the sliced buns and place them (facing upwards) in the oven under the grill, until they’re lightly toasted.
- When the chicken is nearly ready to come out the fridge; in a small bowl mix together; the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, 1 tablespoon of salt and pepper, and flour. Take the chicken and place them in the mixture, dredge and toss, until they’re well coated. Then set them aside by placing them on a rack.
- In a large pot, over medium to high heat, slowly bring the canola oil up to 180°C. Gently place the coated chicken in a covered pot and fry for approximately 15-20 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Turn them midway through for the last 5-10 minutes. Make sure to take keep an eye on them so they don’t darken too much, and overcook. Remove the chicken using tongs and let them rest 5 minutes on the rack.
- Assemble your sandwich by; spreading some mayonnaise on both sides of the bun, then place a bit of the coleslaw mixture, fried chicken thigh, and finally add 3 slices of pickled cucumber.
- Stack, serve and enjoy!
Let the chicken marinate for at least four hours in the buttermilk, longer if possible. If the chicken can marinate at least this long, or even better, overnight. This will surely make for the juiciest fried chicken!
If you like some spiciness to your fried chicken sandwich, just add a little bit of finely diced Mercado Chipotles In Adobo Sauce.
That is how to make the best fried chicken sandwich from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Enthusiast Kitchen