This stuffed beef fillet with pistachio and herbs recipe is as elegant as it is delicious. The tender beef fillet makes for an impressive main at the dinner table. It is a simple recipe that celebrates the fillet cut with the addition of fragrant herbs, garlic and pistachios as a stuffing. Sure to become a family favourite, this jaw-dropping dish will exceed all expectations. This recipe serves 4 people.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 800g beef fillet
- 5 cloves of garlic, 2 minced
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons of coarse ground sea salt
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme, 2 teaspoons of finely minced leaves
- 1 and a 1/4 teaspoons of coarse black peppercorns
- 1 egg, beaten
- 300g of sugar snap peas
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- 2 and a 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 and a 1/2 cups of fresh cream
- 1 kg of potatoes, peeled
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 2 sprigs of fresh oregano
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 80g of pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- First, preheat the oven to 200°C, and prepare the first side by slicing the potatoes 3mm thick. Spreading 1/3 of the potatoes in a baking dish, pour over 1/3 of the cream mixture (of butter, cream and minced garlic). Then scatter a 1/3 of the salt, pepper and thyme over, and sprinkle with 3/4 cups cheese. Repeat this for the second and third layer, but do not finish with cheese on the top layer. Cover with a lid or foil, and bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes in the middle are soft (use a knife to test).
- When the potatoes are cooked, top with cheese and bake again them for a further 10 to 15 minutes until golden and bubbly. Stand for 5 minutes before to rest before plating.
- Then, pat the fillet dry. Using a sharp knife, slice (only halfway through) along the centre of the fillet, opening it out like a book.
- After this, make the stuffing by adding the breadcrumbs to a food processor, along with the pistachios and 3 cloves of garlic. Then, strip the leaves of the rosemary, 2 sprigs of thyme and oregano from their woody stalks and add the leaves to the food processor. Season the stuffing mixture with 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and pepper, and blitz until the ingredients are finely chopped and combined. Then, pour out the stuffing mixture into a bowl and add the beaten egg – a little at a time – while you mixing it using your hands,.until the stuffing holds together.
- Next, spoon the stuffing into the open fillet, packing it down tightly. Roll up the fillet and secure it with kitchen twine. Setting a large non-stick pan, over high heat, rub the stuffed fillet with a little olive oil (about 1 tablespoon) and brown the meat on all sides until it’s nicely seared.
- When this is done, transfer the seared fillet to a baking dish, pour the wine over it and cover it with tinfoil. Placing the dish into the oven, roast the fillet for exactly 15 minutes before removing the meat from the oven and leaving to rest for 10-15 minutes beneath a foil covering.
- In the meantime, make the second side, blanch the peas in a small pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Once cooked, drain them, season them with a pinch of salt and pepper and set them aside.
- Finally, on a plate, using a serving spoon, dish up one heaped spoon of the potato gratin and peas. Then place a nice thick slice of the fillet next to them.
- Serve and enjoy!
Storing this stuffed beef fillet with pistachio and herbs recipe is easy. Simply transfer the different ingredients into separate containers with a lid (preferably airtight). Place them in the fridge, and keep them for up to 3 days. To reheat the ingredients, just put them in the microwave, until warm.
Garnishing this dish with some fresh elements can only elevate it – be sure to try pomegranate seeds and finely sliced chives/spring onions. Additionally, you can use the wine and beef juices left in the oven to make a red wine jus, by transferring the juices into a pot on the stove and simply, reduce the juices with seasoning to the desired consistency.
That is how to make this stuffed beef fillet with pistachio and herbs recipe from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Georgia East