This spaghetti vongole dish is downright delicious and has become an Italian classic. It is simple to make yet anything from bland. The briny juices from the clams help to flavour the broth. Along with the freshness of the lemon and parsley creates for a splendidly balanced taste. This is what makes this recipe just magical and is simply soul-satisfying, a perfect dinner for a warm summer evening. This recipe serves 4.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 1kg of clams
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1,5 cups of sauvignon blanc wine
- 400g of spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/2 a lemon, juiced
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 1 bunch of parsley, de-stalked and finely chopped
- 1,5 teaspoons of chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon of fine sea salt
- To prepare the clams, begin by rinsing them in a colander under cold running water. Make sure to get off any dirt or sand that may be on them.
- Next, in a large pot over medium heat, add one tablespoon of butter and a cup of olive oil. At the same time, in a separate medium-sized pot, over a medium to high heat, place the pasta into heavily salted (with the fine sea salt) water. Cook the pasta for about 6 minutes once the water is boiling until al dente, stirring occasionally. Then, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, in the large pot add; a generous bit of chilli flakes (about 1 teaspoon) and sliced garlic cloves. Then give them a quick stir using tongs while they cook. Then add the dry white wine and another pinch of chilli flakes (about 1/2 a teaspoon). Place the clams to the pot spaced out. Closing the lid, steam them for about 5-7 minutes or until all the clams have opened.
- Once the clams are cooked; turn off and remove the pot the heat, remove them from the broth using a skimmer and set aside.
- Finally, add the cooked pasta to the broth, chopped parsley, and squeeze the lemon juice in (picking out the pips). Stir it together well and place the clams them back on top of the pasta and broth.
- Serve (with clams de-shelled) and enjoy!
This recipe is easily stored in the fridge. Just transfer the spaghetti vongole into a container with a lid (preferably airtight). Put it into the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat the ingredients, just put them in the microwave, until warm.
Decorate with some fresh parsley leaves, this will also some extra freshness to this recipe. If desired, drizzle a little extra olive and a sprinkle of chilli flakes for a little extra hit of spiciness.
That is how to make this classic spaghetti vongole dish from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Enthusiast Kitchen