This epic Moroccan chickpea rice salad recipe is so flavorful and healthy. The Moroccan spices in this dish — cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and ground ginger, give the chickpeas such a bold and authentic flavour. What makes it even more delightful are the sweet pops from the fresh orange and the rich yet balanced tahini dressing. This dish is perfect for a great summer side, or light lunch or dinner meal. This recipe serves 2-3 people.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 1 cup of health rice
- 2 oranges, freshly squeezed
- 1 small handful of fresh mint, finely sliced
- 3 oranges
- 1/2 cup of sesame tahini
- 60g of fresh rocket
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons of fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of fine black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- Begin by preparing the rice. In a medium-sized pot, over medium heat, add the water, and bring it to a boil and then add the rice, cover and simmer as per the instructions on the label.
- While the rice is cooking, in a nonstick pan, over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and heat it up. Drain the chickpeas using a colander, and add the dry chickpeas to the pan and the spices. Using a wooden spoon, mix the chickpeas in the spices until they are well covered for about 2 minutes. When they are nearly done season them with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper, take them off the heat and set them aside in a bowl.
- Next, to make the dressing add the tahini, freshly squeezed orange juice, a dash of olive oil, 1/2 a teaspoon of salt and pepper, and a splash of water (if necessary, to thin it out) into a bowl. Then using a fork whisk these ingredients together until combined. Make sure to add enough salt to the dressing so that it is not overly sweet from the oranges.
- After this, prepare the other ingredients. Using a serrated knife, peel and segment the oranges. Finely slice the handful of mint – this optional as the rice already has some dried mint in it, but this will add some lovely freshness.
- When the rice is done, strain the excess water out and set it aside to cool. This so it does not wilt the rocket when plating up.
- Just before assembling your dish, in a large bowl add and mix together half of all the prepared ingredients (the rice, chickpeas, orange segments, rocket and mint), but only a couple of spoonfuls (about 3 or 4) of the dressing.
- Lastly, plate up by adding two serving spoonfuls of the Moroccan rice into a bowl, nestle in some orange slices, top it with chickpeas, place a few rocket leaves on the side and then drizzle over some dressing.
- Serve and enjoy!
This Moroccan chickpea rice salad recipe is easy to store this recipe in the fridge and is excellent for meal prep’. To store, just transfer all the ingredients into separate, preferably airtight, containers. Put them into the fridge for up to 1 week.
Ideally, try to cook the rice as early as possible or even in advance, so that it is easy to just plate up the ingredients and save prep’ time. Decorate with a few extra leaves of fresh mint leaves, this will add freshness to this dish.
That is how to make this fresh Moroccan chickpea rice salad recipe from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Kind But Good Food