This Moroccan chicken with artichokes and lemon is truly delicious and globally loved dish. A lovely twist on this classic recipe includes the addition of artichokes, which makes this bright and tangy stew that much better. What’s special about this dish is how balanced the flavours are, that’s just magical and is simply soul-satisfying. This recipe serves 6.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, freshly juiced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1,5 cups of chicken broth
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 lemon, quartered
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 1 tablespoon of coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 6 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 a teaspoon of saffron
- 8 artichoke, hearts
- 1 tablespoon of parsley, finely chopped
- To prepare the chicken, pat it dry and season it on both sides with salt and pepper. Then, finely chop the garlic cloves and parsley, and dice the onion.
- In a large ceramic cooking pot/skillet, over a medium to high heat, and when hot place the chicken skin side down and cook for 8 minutes until the skin has browned. After this, flip the chicken over and let the underside brown for about 5 minutes. Once the chicken is done, use tongs/a splotted spoon to take the chicken out and rest them on a plate.
- Next, carefully spoon out and discard 2 tablespoons of excess oil/fat from the pan, leaving a small amount behind. Then, add all your chopped ingredients; onion, garlic and parsley, into the same pot. Season with salt and pepper, and fry them for about 5 minutes until the onions are translucent – stirring occasionally.
- Once your onions are cooked, add the cinnamon and mix. Next, add the chicken broth in to deglaze the bottom of the pot, assist this by scaping the bottom of the pot and stirring to get all the fats involved. Bring the broth to a gentle simmer on a medium to low heat and add the chicken pieces again (skin-side up).
- Then, nestle in the artichokes in between the chicken. Close the pot with a lid and let it gently simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through. Prepare, your serving dish of choice and when the time is up, arrange your chicken pieces on it.
- Increase the heat to medium to high, and cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens and the artichokes are slightly brown. Now that the sauce is thick, remove the artichokes and arrange them on your dish. After this, add some lemon juice into the pan with the sauce, to taste. Finally, spoon the sauce onto your chicken and artichoke pieces. Garnish with thyme sprigs and lemon wedges.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is store in the fridge and stores well. To store, just transfer the chicken and artichokes into a container with a lid (preferably airtight). Put it into the fridge for up to 1 week. To reheat the ingredients, just put them in the microwave, until warm.
That is how to make this classic Moroccan chicken with artichokes and lemon dish from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Rebecca Sher