This fried calamari and spiced rice recipe are mouth-wateringly delicious. If you’re a seafood fan then you’re sure to fall in love with this dish. The fried calamari is tender, coated in seasoned flour and deep-fried to golden brown perfection. These fried calamari tubes and tentacles are easy to make at home and go hand in hand with the spiced rice. All your friends and family will be talking about this recipe for weeks to come. This recipe serves 4.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 500g of calamari tubes and tentacles
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of basmati rice
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 cup of cornflour
- 2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 litre of canola oil
- 3 cups of water
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- First, begin by preparing the ingredients. Using a chef’s knife, dice the onion. Peel and slice the cloves of garlic widthways. Core and de-pip the red pepper and the yellow pepper, then slice and dice them. Set these all aside in a medium-sized bowl.
- Then, in a large mixing bowl, add; 1/4 cup of flour and cornflour, 1 teaspoon of fine salt, 1 teaspoon of the paprika and cayenne pepper, and mix it.
- After this, transfer the calamari into a small mixing bowl. Taking them out slice the tubes into rings and put them into the dredge mixture. Put the tentacles straight into the dredge, cover all of them and the tubes well and place them out on an oven tray.
- Next, in a large pot, over medium to high heat, slowly bring the canola oil up to 180°C. While the frying oil heats up, pour in the olive oil, all the prepared vegetables with 1 teaspoon of fine salt into a medium-sized pot, over medium heat. Mimicking the calamari, spice them with 1/2 teaspoon of paprika and cayenne pepper. Stir together and while cooking the vegetables add the tomato paste. Continuing to stir, add the basmati rice and toast it briefly. After this, add the water, stir together and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Gently place the tentacles in the first batch of coated calamari in the pot and fry for approximately 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Then, move them around using a slotted spoon continually. Make sure to take keep an eye on them so they don’t darken too much, and overcook. Remove the tentacles and let them rest 5 minutes on a paper towel in an oven dish, and then repeat this process to fry the second batch of rings.
- Finally, remove the lid, take the rice off the heat and mix. With a serving spoon, dish some rice in a bowl and top it with a spoon of fried calamari.
- Serve and enjoy.
This fried calamari and spiced rice recipe are easy to store in the fridge. Simply transfer the rice and fried calamari into separate containers with a lid (preferably airtight). It can be kept in the fridge for up to a week. To reheat, simply put the ingredients into the microwave until it gets to the desired heat.
That is how to make this fried calamari and spiced rice recipe from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Enthusiast Kitchen