This charred summer corn salad recipe is flavourful and fresh! The salad is the perfect summertime meal, filled with all kinds of goodness. It is simple to prepare and will hit every note with the charred corn, roasted tomatoes and peppers to the fresh rocket and baby marrow. The lime zest adds aromatics to the corn and helps elevate the flavour of the dish. This dish is a crowd favourite, keep it up your sleeve for family and friends to enjoy as well. This recipe serves 2 people.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- 4 cobs of sweetcorn
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 200g of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 a red onion, finely sliced
- 250g of baby marrows, shaved
- 1 tablespoon of cajun rub
- 2 fresh limes, zested and squeezed
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 1/2 a teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of fine black peppercorns
- First, preheat the oven to 220°C on the fan setting. Then, begin by preparing the red bell peppers and cherry tomatoes. Using a serrated knife; core and de-pip the peppers and then slice them into strips, and cut the tomatoes into halves. Place them on a roasting tray with baking paper, drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, season them on with a pinch of salt and black pepper, and put the tray in the oven to roast for a few minutes.
- Next, using the serrated knife, cut the kernels of corn off of the cob. Then, place a non-stick frying pan over high heat and drizzle about 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, until it’s heated up. Put the corn in the pan, toss them until they’re fully covered and then leave them to cook for a minute or two until the bottom gets nice and charred.
- While the corn is cooking sprinkle 1/2 a tablespoon of the cajun spice to cover the top well. Once the one side starts to char, toss the corn around and leave the other side to cook for another minute or two. Add 1/2 a tablespoon of the cajun spice and olive oil. After this toss the corn and then take it off the heat. While the charred corn is still warm, zest the limes (stop before you see the white rind) into the pan. Mix this all together and set it aside.
- As the tomatoes and peppers are finishing cooking in the oven, using a peeler, shave the baby marrows into the ribbons, squeeze some lime juice over them and set them aside. Then thinly slice half the onion and then take the tray out of the oven.
- Lastly, tearing up leaves of basil, build the salad by assembling the ingredients on the plate. Layer first the rocket and then the; roasted tomatoes and peppers, baby marrow ribbons, red onion, basil, charred corn, and a squeeze of lime juice. To finish, dollop some salsa on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
This charred summer corn salad recipe is stored in the fridge and stores well. To store it, just transfer the ingredients into separate containers with lids (preferably airtight), for 3 days.
To really spice things top off this dish by just adding some more sliced jalapeños to your dressing.
That is how to make this delicious charred summer corn salad recipe from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Kind But Good Food