Chaloner’s Gold Award winning Extra Virgin Olive oil is produced with the meticulous attention to detail and quality for which Chaloner is renowned. Grown on the slopes of the Stellenbosch Mountains this boutique oil takes character from the granitic soils aided by biodynamic cultivation. An exquisite multifaceted aroma with traditional pepperiness from the Frantoio and flower scent from Nocellara.
Processing and extraction:
Olives have been crushed with a hammer crusher in order to optimise the surface area for maximum Oil release and flavour release during the malaxing stage. Olive pulp has been malaxed for a maximum of 30 mins at 23 -28 C in order to facilitate the release of phenolic compounds into the oil. Oil Extraction from the pulp was done through the use of a 2 phase Pieralisi decanter system after which the oil has been clarified with a vertical Pieralisi separator. Oil is then left to settle and racked from sediment twice.
The oil is made in medium style intensity and has a beautiful balance between the fruit, bitter and pepper. A deep green colour belies the oil which is evidence of the Italian varieties used in this blend. The nose has upfront green olives, nutty and slightly grassy notes. A good structure is evident within the oil and also shows a hint of artichoke, pine seeds and slight nuances of unripe tomatoes. On the pallet, an excellent balance of fruit and bitter is displayed with good walnut flavours and hints of pine seeds and artichokes. The oil finishes with low astringency, a certain amount of creaminess and fruit on the pallet and a lingering pepperiness in the back of the throat.
Enjoy on its own dipped in artisanal bread, dribbled over red meat, or on salads with perhaps a grind of salt.
On a farm called Falcon’s Nest – itself nestled beneath the beautiful Stellenbosch mountains of the Western Cape, South Africa – entrepreneur Perry Chaloner has been hard at work building his niche food preserve the business of tapenades, olives, marmalades and jams.
Close on twenty years ago he started experimenting with traditional jam recipes using the fruits that were flourishing on the 14-hectare farm: olives, plums, lemons, Seville oranges and herbs. Always retaining the best of ‘homemade’ tastes, Chaloner created quirky combinations and shared these special recipes with his friends: their response was overwhelming.
Chaloner 12 promises:
1) Developed first for taste – not for the price point.
2) Finest, freshest ingredients sourced eg fresh organic mint, fresh lavender etc.
3) Made seasonally where possible to minimize the use of frozen fruit.
4) Only use Wine or Balsamic Vinegar, never Grape Vinegar.
5) No ingredient substitution.
6) High fruit to sugar content. Most products less than 45% added sugar.
7) No added Preservatives or Additives.
8) No synthetic pectin which adversely affects flavour.
9) Ingredients sourced where possible from our own production to ensure quality and minimize carbon footprint.
10) Alternatively ingredients are sourced locally from renowned quality suppliers.
11) Recipes unique combinations – Blueberry, Raspberry & Lavender.
12) Collaborated to date with top South African chefs
Ingredients: Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Serving Size 250ml
Total Fat 212.8g
Saturated Fat 30.4g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated fats 30.4g
Monounsaturated fats 152g
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Total Sugars 0g
Added Sugars 0g