This cauliflower steak on butterbean purée recipe is absolutely fantastic and a sophisticated vegetarian alternative to a meaty steak. This vegan recipe for crispy grilled cauliflower steaks with a buttery (but butter-free obviously) butter bean purée is rich and morish, but balanced with the fresh and lemon elements that run throughout. It simple to make and comes together in just 25 minutes but is definitely impressive enough to serve guests. This dish is healthy which makes it a perfect addition to the weekly dinner menu! This recipe serves 4.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 1 and a 1/2 tablespoons of Nomu One For All Rub
- 1/3 cup of sesame tahini
- 2 tins of butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large head of cauliflower, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground sea salt
- 50g of rocket
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black peppercorns
- 1 and a 1/2 lemons, freshly squeezed
- 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1/2 a teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 2 tablespoons of water
- First, preheat the oven to 180°C fan. Then, prepare the cauliflower by; slicing it widthways into 3cm steaks, and place them and the offcut florets onto a roasting pan, lined with baking paper. Drizzle and sprinkle them on both sides with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the Nomu rub, respectively and evenly. Rub so the cauliflower is well covered and place it in the oven to roast for about 25 minutes.
- Next, in a food processor, make the butter bean purée. Put in; the drained and rinsed butter beans, 1 clove of garlic (peeled), juice of 1 lemon, salt and pepper (to taste), and then blend it until it is mixed well. After this, add a splash (about 2 tablespoons) of water and blend it for roughly 4 minutes. When the purée has an almost fluffy consistency, transfer it into a serving bowl and mix in the lemon zest.
- After 10 minutes flip the cauliflower steaks using a spatula and season both side like above, and put the tray back in the oven. When cooked, you want a knife to be able to go through the steaks with just a little bit of resistance.
- After this, make the dressing. Start by adding; the tahini, 1 teaspoon of olive oil, juice of 1/2 a lemon, smoked paprika and maple syrup. Using a teaspoon, mix the ingredients together until combined. If the tahini dressing becomes clunky, just simply add very small amounts, while mixing to get the consistency.
- Finally, plate up the ingredients onto a plate. First, spread the purée into a large circle, then place the steak on top of it, place 1 handful of rocket on the side of the plate and drizzle the tahini sauce on top to finish. Remember to add more salt and pepper to taste and serve with some fresh and warm sourdough.
- Serve and enjoy!
This cauliflower steak on butterbean purée recipe keeps really well in the fridge. To store, just transfer the cauliflower (portioned steaks), purée, rocket and tahini dressing into separate containers with lids (preferably airtight). Place into the fridge for up to 1 week. To reheat the ingredients, just put them in the microwave, separately, until warm.
If you want, you can serve your purée warm. Once you’ve finished blending it, transfer it into a small pot, over a low to medium heat. Then just add some water (to prevent it from sticking), stir frequently and bring it up to temperature.
That is how to make this lovely cauliflower steak on butterbean purée dish from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Kind But Good Food