This broccoli and charred lemon flatbread recipe is fabulous and so fresh. Topped with delicious and nutritious ingredients, such as rocket, lemon slice and fresh red onion. The twist on this globally loved starter is an absolute winner! Not to mention they are quick and easy to make. This is the perfect snack or starter, not only for lunch or dinner but also for a party entrée. This recipe serves 3.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 1 cup of kale, chopped
- 1 small bunch of broccolini
- 2 flatbreads
- 1 small lemon, finely sliced and pipped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup of parmesan, grated (or nutritional yeast)
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 3/4 cup of danish feta
- 1 teaspoon of ground sea salt
- 1 handful of fresh rocket
- 1/3 cup and 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small green chilli
- 1 clove of garlic
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 1/3 cup of toasted pistachio
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups and 1 tablespoon of water
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 200°C on the fan setting. Then, in a small pot over medium heat, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Drop the broccolini into the pot and cook for 30 seconds. After this, drain the water using a colander and rinse with cold water to stop them from cooking. Roughly chop the broccolini and set them aside.
- Next, make the pesto by; adding the garlic, lemon zest and juice to a food processor and pulse a few times to break down and blend the ingredients. Then, add the chilli, pistachios, kale and process for about 30 seconds. When this has blended together, finally, add 1/3 cup of olive oil, salt and pepper and parmesan. Blitz until combines, and then add a splash of water if necessary.
- Lastly, evenly spread the pesto on the flatbread. Top with the chopped broccolini, red onion, feta, lemon slices and the grated parmesan. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and place on a baking tray in the oven on the middle rack. Bake for 10 minutes until the top starts to brown. Top with rocket and dollops of pesto to serve.
- Serve and enjoy.
You can also make your own flatbreads for this broccoli and charred lemon flatbread recipe. At its simplest, a flatbread is flour, yeast and water mixed into a dough, rolled into balls, rested, flattened and griddled. A rule of thumb ratio is; 500g of any wheat flour to 300g of cold water. Add some oil to the mix, and you have a dough. Switch things up by substituting coconut milk for the water or try even using yoghurt.
If you’d like to try some more similarly stunning recipes, be sure to check the Lamb Kofta Flatbreads Recipe.
That is how to make this broccoli and charred lemon flatbread recipe from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Bronwyn Darne