This beef shin tacos recipe is sure to get your taste buds dancing. The beef is slow-cooked in aromatic vegetables and spices. You’ll end up with perfect pull-apart beef that’s incredibly juicy and bursting with flavour. The freshness of the guacamole, pickled onions and coriander just takes these tacos to the next level. This is the best dish to share with family and friends!
This recipe serves 3-6 people and is perfect for a tasty starter or a main course.
WHAT YOU CAN GET FROM US:
- 1 onion, half finely diced and half chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tined of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 500ml of chicken broth
- 1 avocado
- 2 small handful of fresh coriander
- 1 kg of beef shin
- 4 dried ancho chillies
- 1 tablespoon of habanero hot sauce
- 2 a fresh jalapeños
- 2 teaspoon of coarse sea salt
- 1 lime, quartered
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 12 slices of pickled red onions
- 6 tortillas
WHAT YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE:
- 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of fine pepper
- Begin by salting the beef shin beforehand with 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt. Then, in a large cast-iron roasting pot over high heat, pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, place the beef shins into the pot and get them brown on both sides, flipping them after 2 minutes. Then remove them from the pot and set them aside.
- After this, prepare the ingredients by; smashing the garlic cloves, chop 1/2 an onion, chop the jalapeños, chop the dried ancho chillis, and set them aside.
- Next, in the same pot, add 1 more tablespoons of olive oil and then all the chopped and diced vegetables. Season them with 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt, and cook them for a few minutes, stirring occasionally using tongs. After this, then add in the tin of diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Mix together, and place the beef shins back in and then close the lid and put it in the oven, at 180°C, on the fan setting, for about 4 hours.
- In the meantime, make the guacamole in a small bowl, by adding the avocado, 1/2 a finely diced onion, lime juice, fine salt and pepper. Then using a fork, mash the ingredient until it’s a good smooth consistency and set aside.
- Once the braised beef shin is done, take ut of the oven and take the meat out of the pot to set aside. Using two forks shred the meat. This should be easy as it would be so tender.
- Then, using a sieve, drain the braising liquid out of the pot (into a bowl), and add the meat and the liquid back into the pot, then set aside. After this, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Place the tortillas and warm them for 30 seconds on each side, spritzing with a drop of water.
- Finally, assemble the tacos by; spreading the guacamole on the tortilla, then add some beef shin, 2 pieces of pickled onion, a few drops of habanero sauce (less than 1/2 a teaspoon), finally garnish with some coriander leaves and serve with lime wedges.
- Serve and enjoy!
It’s easy; just keep this beef shin tacos recipe in the fridge, for up to 1 week. To store it, just transfer the ingredients into separate containers with lids (preferably airtight). Reheat the tortillas the same way you prepared them, and to reheat the fried fish, fry for approximately 1 minute.
That is how to make the best beef shin tacos recipe from the comfort of your home.
Recipe by Enthusiast Kitchen